There's very little to be said about this, but it needs to be said nonetheless.
I've just spent the last four weeks hunting for a bug in my thesis code that I've mentioned last time. Since then, I've given up on the paper I'm reimplementing more times than I can count. Well... Can you guess how that went?
Here's a quick status update; I have been meaning to post these more often.
Hi! In the new year, as promised, you'll see more actual science discussions on this page. I have - I think, for the first time since I started writing here - a plan for the next four posts. The first will discuss nuclear power and its place in the world. The second will tell you a little about its most interesting future alternative - fusion power. Next up, we'll discuss its history a little and where I predict it'll head in the near future; and in the fourth, I'll try to discuss a little about what we're actually doing with it in terms of research work. I can't wait to get to the fourth part, so that should be at least motivating. Let's get to it!
As promised, I've switched the site's comment system from Disqus to utteranc.es. It ended up being pretty simple to do in Nikola. If I'm correct about how this is supposed to work, comments on the site will now appear as issues on the site's repo. Of course, I would love to test out how this works :)
And good riddance to 2020!
I've been doing my university physics homework in SymPy and Jupyter for a little bit, and I thought I could share a little about the workflow I've developed for it. It might come useful for you.
This post should be seen through the lens of self therapeutic writing, as I angrily work through a few ideas on my mind.
And now, for something completely different.
I've been getting into the Julia ecosystem a little (turns out there's a lot of tutorials you get to watch when doing the dishes), and I've been meaning to get some hands on experience. Today, I'd like to reproduce Mosè Giordano's gist example, which I first saw in this JuliaCon talk by Stefan Karpinski. I think it really illustrates Alan Edelman's points on Julia's composability from the talk I linked last time.
What we'll do today is combine a simple example of an ODE solution with an uncertainty package, and see how easy or difficult it becomes using Julia.